The AIM EV Sport 01 is an all-electric sports car concept developed by AIM, a Japanese engineering company specializing in automotive design and technology. This is AIM’s first-ever concept vehicle, and it has garnered positive feedback since its unveiling in April.
Here are the key features of the AIM EV Sport 01:
- Powertrain: Two APM200 electric motors produce 483 horsepower and 545 pound-feet of torque.
- Battery: 81 kilowatt-hours configured in four packs, enabling an estimated driving range of 186 miles.
- Weight: 3,141 pounds.
- Design: Simple, clean design by SN Design Platform, reminiscent of the great sports cars of the past.
- Performance: Should be respectable given the car’s low weight, aerodynamic shape, and decent power.
Here are some other features that are worth mentioning:
- Chassis: Multi-tubular aluminium frame.
- Suspension: Double-wishbone front and rear.
- Wheels: 20-inch with 235/35 ZR20 tires at the front and 275/30 ZR20 rear tires.
Specs and Engine
The EV Sport 01 is a two-seat coupe with a curb weight of 3,141 pounds (1,425 kilograms). It features a dual-motor, rear-wheel-drive configuration powered by two APM200 motors, generating a combined output of 483 horsepower (360 kilowatts) and a maximum torque of 545 pound-feet (740 Newton-meters). An advanced torque vectoring system controls the motors, and the inverter has an input rating of 720V and an output of 380 kW.
The car utilizes a laminate rechargeable lithium battery with a capacity of 81 kilowatt-hours, configured in four packs, providing an estimated driving range of 186 miles (300 kilometres). While specific performance figures are not mentioned, the EV Sport 01’s low weight, aerodynamic shape, and decent power are expected to deliver respectable performance.
Regarding dimensions, the EV Sport 01 is similar in length to a subcompact car at 153.5 inches (3.9 meters), but it is wider at 74.8 inches (1.9 meters) and lower at 47.2 inches (1.2 meters). It features a multi-tubular aluminium frame chassis and a double-wishbone suspension system for both the front and rear.
The body panels of the EV Sport 01 are made from a carbon fibre laminate structure, while the interior utilizes carbon fibre for the “bathtub” design. The car rides on 20-inch wheels with 235/35 ZR20 tires at the front and 275/30 ZR20 tires at the rear.
The design of the EV Sport 01 was led by Shiro Nakamura, the former chief designer at Nissan, who oversaw the creation of various Nissan models such as the GT-R, Cube, and Leaf. The car aims to capture the spirit of great sports cars from the past while showcasing a simple and clean design emphasising dynamism and elegance.
The AIM EV Sport 01 will make timed runs at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, specifically in the “First Glance” category, from July 13-16.
Pros of the AIM EV Sport 01 concept:
- All-electric performance: Being an all-electric sports car, the EV Sport 01 offers instant torque and quick acceleration, providing a thrilling driving experience.
- Lightweight design: With a curb weight of 3,141 pounds (1,425 kilograms), the EV Sport 01 benefits from its lightweight construction, which can enhance its agility, handling, and overall performance.
- Advanced powertrain: The dual-motor, rear-wheel-drive configuration with two APM200 motors and an advanced torque vectoring system offers precise control and potentially improved traction and cornering capabilities.
- Decent power and torque: The combined output of 483 horsepower (360 kilowatts) and maximum torque of 545 pound-feet (740 Newton-meters) should provide strong acceleration and dynamic performance.
- Stylish and elegant design: Designed by Shiro Nakamura, known for his work on iconic Nissan models, the EV Sport 01 features a simple and clean design with sophisticated elegance reminiscent of classic sports cars.
- Carbon fibre construction: The body panels and interior “bathtub” of the EV Sport 01 are made from a carbon fibre laminate structure, contributing to weight reduction and potentially enhancing strength and rigidity.
Cons of the AIM EV Sport 01 concept:
- Information: As a concept vehicle, detailed specifications and performance figures are not provided, making it difficult to assess its capabilities fully.
- Limited production prospects: While AIM is exploring the possibility of a limited series production run, it’s uncertain whether the EV Sport 01 will make it to the market or remain solely a concept.
- Range limitations: The estimated driving range of 186 miles (300 kilometres) may be considered relatively modest compared to other electric vehicles on the market. Longer ranges are becoming increasingly expected in the electric vehicle segment.
- Seating and practicality: The EV Sport 01 is a two-seat coupe, which may not be suitable for those needing more passenger capacity or cargo space.
- Availability and affordability: As a concept vehicle, the EV Sport 01’s availability and potential pricing remain uncertain, and it may be positioned as a high-end, limited-production sports car, limiting its accessibility to a broader market.
- Testing and evaluation stage: Since the vehicle is still undergoing testing and evaluation, its real-world performance and reliability have yet to be fully validated.
The AIM EV Sport 01 concept represents an exciting venture into the world of all-electric sports cars by the Japanese engineering company AIM. While it is their first concept vehicle, it showcases promising features and design elements.
The EV Sport 01 boasts an all-electric powertrain with dual motors, offering a combined output of 483 horsepower and advanced torque vectoring for precise control. Its lightweight construction, carbon fibre body panels, and elegant design contribute to its potential for agile performance and visual appeal.
Detailed specifications and performance figures are not provided, and the range of 186 miles may be considered modest compared to other electric vehicles. The limited seating and production prospects also present potential drawbacks.
The AIM EV Sport 01 concept shows promise as an all-electric sports car focusing on performance and design. It remains to be seen how the vehicle will progress from its concept stage, including potential production and market availability. As with any concept vehicle, further development, testing, and evaluation will be necessary to determine its capabilities.