Aprilia is working on a new model called the Aprilia RS 440, which is expected to be released in Europe for the 2024 season.
The RS 440 will feature a two-cylinder inline engine and is speculated to have a maximum power output of 48 horsepower. It is designed to comply with the European class A2 driver’s license limit, which restricts motorcycles to a maximum of 0.2 kW per kg.
Here are some of the key features of the new Aprilia RS 440:
- Two-cylinder in-line engine with a maximum of 48 hp
- Water-cooled, DOHC engine
- 270-degree crank pin offset
- Weight less than 175 kilograms
- Eligible for the European class A2 driver’s license
- Similar in style to the RS 660
- More affordable than the RS 660
The new Aprilia RS 440 is believed to have similarities with other motorcycles in its class, such as the Kawasaki Ninja 400 and CFMoto SR 450. These motorcycles have similar power outputs and weights, catering to the A2 license category.
The patented engine is made in collaboration with Zonghshen.
Aprilia is developing a new in-line twin engine for the RS 440, ranging from 250 to 440 cc. Patent drawings from China suggest that the engine will feature water cooling, a DOHC cylinder head, and a cable clutch. The engine design is notable for its 270-degree crankpin offset, which differs from the conventional 180-degree layout in most twins of this displacement range.
The central camshaft drive, with a chain drive for the two camshafts, indicates that Aprilia intends to use this engine design for multiple displacement levels. This approach allows for easier scaling of the engine’s displacement by using longer camshafts and larger cylinders without significant modifications to the crankcase.
Pros of the Aprilia RS 440:
- Power-to-weight ratio: With a maximum power output of 48 horsepower and lightweight construction, the RS 440 is expected to offer excellent performance and agility, especially for riders with an A2 license.
- European A2 license compliance: The RS 440 is designed to meet the requirements of the European A2 driver’s license limit, making it accessible to a wider range of riders.
- Modern features: As a new model, the Aprilia RS 440 will likely come equipped with modern features and technologies, enhancing the riding experience and safety.
- Brand reputation: Aprilia has a strong reputation in the motorcycle industry, known for producing high-performance bikes with Italian design and engineering. The RS 440 is expected to maintain the brand’s quality and heritage.
Cons of the Aprilia RS 440:
- Limited power output: While the RS 440’s power output is suitable for A2 license holders, riders looking for higher performance may be underwhelming compared to larger-displacement motorcycles.
- Price and availability: As a new model, the RS 440’s pricing and availability may vary depending on the market. It could potentially be more expensive or less readily available compared to established models in its segment.
- Limited practicality: Sports bikes like the RS 440 focus on performance and may prioritize speed and agility over comfort and practicality. Riders seeking a more versatile motorcycle for everyday use or long-distance touring might find the RS 440 less suitable.
- Limited information available: At the time of writing, the information available about the RS 440 is limited, based on speculation and unofficial sources. It’s important to note that details may change or vary when official information is released.
The Aprilia RS 440 is an upcoming motorcycle model from Aprilia that is expected to be released in Europe for the 2024 season. It is designed to comply with the European A2 license limit and is speculated to have a maximum power output of 48 horsepower. The RS 440 is anticipated to offer a good power-to-weight ratio and agility, catering to riders with an A2 license.
However, as with any upcoming model, there are certain limitations and uncertainties. The limited power output of the RS 440 may not satisfy riders seeking higher performance. Additionally, the pricing, availability, and practicality of the RS 440 may vary, and it may prioritize speed and agility over comfort and everyday usability.
It would be advisable to wait for official announcements or reviews before making definitive judgments about the Aprilia RS 440.