Chinese motorcycle manufacturer CFMoto has been steadily gaining traction in international markets, establishing a reputation for offering models that compete with Japanese and European brands, but at a more attractive price point. A favorite in the Australian market, the company’s latest offering, the 700MT, promises to be a game-changer in the middleweight adventure-tourer segment.
Engine and Performance
The 700MT replaces the previous 650 MT, aptly named due to its bump in engine displacement. The new 693cc liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, parallel-twin engine, also found in the 700 CL-X models, manages to deliver 74 horsepower at 8,500 rpm and 48 pound-feet of torque at 6,500 rpm. These figures pit it against Yamaha’s Tenere 700, although the 700MT boasts a design more attuned for the tarmac than the trails.
Features and Design
The 700MT shares some undeniable visual similarities with Kawasaki’s Versys 650. However, this newer iteration is more modern and comes packed with updated features:
- Transmission: A smooth six-speed manual gearbox.
- Suspension: It’s equipped with a long-travel suspension, adjustable for both compression and rebound damping at both ends. This ensures a comfortable ride across varied terrains.
- Wheels & Tires: The bike rides on 17-inch wheels, both front and rear, fitted with road-oriented tires that measure 120/70 at the front and 160/60 at the rear. This combination provides adequate grip and stability for highway cruises and spirited rides alike.
- Electronics: A major step up is the full-colour five-inch TFT display, which joins the LED headlight, taillight, and turn signals.
Pricing and Availability
Currently, the 700MT is available in the Australian market at a retail price of $9,790 AUD (approx. $6,253 USD). This aggressive pricing strategy, given the bike’s features, makes it a compelling proposition for those looking for an affordable adventure-tourer. As of now, the US market continues to have the 650 Adventura variant priced at $6,799 USD.
Pros of the CFMoto 700MT
- Competitive price
- Modern engine with good performance
- Comfortable and capable chassis
- Full suite of electronic features
- Good value for money
Cons of the CFMoto 700MT:
- Relatively new brand, so long-term reliability is unknown
- Road-focused design, so it may not be as suitable for off-road riding as some other adventure-tourers
- Limited availability in the US market
With the 700MT, CFMoto has managed to create a well-rounded middleweight tourer that promises both performance and value. While it might still need to shed the ‘clone’ tag it has been associated with, the 700MT stands tall as a testament to how far CFMoto has come in the world of motorcycles. Those looking for an affordable entry into the adventure-touring segment should certainly consider this offering.