KTM unveils new, improved 2023 890 SMT
Sharper, sleeker, sportier. Take a touch of touring, a pinch of unbeatable tarmac performance and a prominent vivid spice of Supermoto legacy and serve with speed: KTM is delighted to reintroduce the KTM SMT back to the table. No compromises and no catches. This regeneration of a KTM icon will sweep all highway traffic aside.
Read More: KTM India brings new RC-390 OBD2
Imagine the ultimate Supermoto ‘play weapon’ and a bike with several technical features and additions necessary for extended touring capabilities: you can attack the hill but know that the bike will take you much further.
- KTM 890 SMT is back in the spotlight with a re-tuned KTM 890 LC8c platform and developed to hit marks at the top of the Supermoto touring segment for power/torque-to-weight ratio.
- A street-focused chassis, adjustable suspension, premium tires and brakes, and other components elevate this purposeful model between KTM ADVENTURE and KTM STREET product ranges. The perfect foil for hill passes but then the road that lies after that.
- The 2023 KTM 890 SMT is relaunched with fanfare and pulsating ‘hill climb’ concept in the hands of former AMA Superbike and Supermoto racer Chris Fillmore.
The only way is up. The racing skills of former AMA Superbike and Supermoto ace Chris Fillmore were an apt conduit to display the potential and the limits of the reimagined KTM 890 SMT.
The American, and Pikes Peak winner, throttled the Supermoto-tourer along a Sardinian Mountain climb to show petrol heads and the motorcycle industry what they had been missing – and what they had been waiting for.
Fillmore gassed the super-torquey 889cc LC8c parallel twin and counted on 105 hp at 8,000 rpm.
The engine is the same platform behind the enviable stats and output of the KTM 890 ADVENTURE R model and variations: with a 20% increase in rotating mass over the KTM 790 platform, providing stability and reassurance through corners, the knock control and 46 mm dual Dell’Orto throttle bodies guaranteeing optimum momentum. At the same time, the fuel consumption from the 15.8-litre tank is fantastically low at 4.6 litres/100 km.
The KTM 890 SMT is as happy pushed through low revs as pinned in higher gears. Fillmore used the full range of the KTM 790 DUKE’s motor to ace his second Pikes Peak hill climb record in Colorado.
The tank plays a forceful ergonomic role and has been slimmed and explicitly designed for the KTM 890 SMT. The form of the tank slides the rider even further ‘into’ the bike with a comprehensive and comfy contact patch but still compact enough for accessible and flowing movement (aided by the single-piece Supermoto-shaped seat at 860 mm height). The aero-optimized smoked windshield is placed above the double fender concept with a low splash guard on the fork legs. Cruise or attack?
Chassis-wise, the KTM 890 SMT has a CroMo steel frame with a tighter geometry that apes the KTM ADVENTUREs. The structure is typically light and superbly agile on the move but also ensures fierce stability the faster a rider pushes. The shock absorber is angled further to reduce the seat height and accommodate the longer swingarm, contributing to a forwardly inclined rider position and straight stability.
Feeling the KTM 890 SMT on the go is an excellent experience: agile, flighty and responsive. The WP APEX suspension (43 mm open cartridge upside-down forks at 180 mm of travel and the same for the shock) is fully adjustable and complements the 17” wheels. The Michelin PowerGP tires supply more than enough stick for the slickest tarmac and have been specially selected for their specs and appropriateness for the KTM 890 SMT’s demands. The state-of-the-art 5” TFT dashboard is made from optically bonded mineral glass. It is scratch and glare resistant and fully customizable while divulging the easy-to-use infographic menu system for setup preferences.
The bike can be moulded even further. The three standard ride modes (RAIN, STREET, SPORT) can be expanded by an optional TRACK setting that permits the rider to toggle different amounts of throttle modes and traction control through 10 levels. Cornering Motorcycle Traction Control (MTC) is an important safety feature sensitive to the bikes’ pitch and behaviour at lean.
Try six different handlebar positions with a 30 mm range. The whole show can slide and be wrenched to a halt with potent brakes, with four-piston callipers spinning a 320 mm front disc and 260 mm double-piston callipers on the rear. Putting this stopping power into action employs Cornering ABS and Supermoto ABS, placing both technically advanced provisions into the mix for an excellent safety profile.
More add-ons include heated grips and the chance to add Motor Slip Regulation (MSR, ideal for better control in low grip situations and for fast downshifts) to the software package. QUICKSHIFTER+ and Cruise Control are optional and ready to go with a simple activation process. Good connectivity with the bike means full access to navigation possibilities, and the advantages of the KTMconnect App include (roadside assistance, owner manuals, digital service booklet for service and maintenance).
It would be very ‘backmarker-ish’, not to mention the looks. The KTM 890 SMT says a lot with its Supermoto tourer style, from the wheels to the sporty graphics. The SMT cuts a sharp profile and will be impossible to miss and harder to outgun on the road. Don’t forget the encompassing collection of KTM PowerParts (accessories and TRACK and TECH Packs) and KTM PowerWear to look the part on the hill, the highway or any hike to KTM 890 SMT happiness.
2023 KTM 890 SMT Highlights
- KTM 890 LC8c was reworked for particular sport touring emphasis, and the next generation of the KTM 890 SMT thanks to 100 Nm of Torque and 105 hp with unbeatable power delivery.
- A chassis ideal for the perfect Supermoto-tourer that achieved the desirable pitch between aggression and chilled cruising with a sportier feel.
- The frame, engine, wheels, and WP APEX suspension are all tweaked for a lithe performance.
- Blast the gradient of any hill and climb with Cornering MTC, Cornering ABS and Supermoto ABS, all applicable thanks to superior bike behaviour functionality. More customization is possible with adjustable Suspension and TRACK mode options
- .Performance with function: get excited by the tech specs and then revel in the touring aspect of the bike with elements such as the 5” advanced TFT dashboard, Michelin PowerGP tires and optional QUICKSHIFTER+ and Cruise Control, among other add-ons.
- LED lights, eye-catching styling, 17” wheels and KTM 890 SMT spirit from the first throttle roll
Beat a path to any authorized KTM dealer from April 2023 to order or lay your gloves on the KTM 890 SMT.
The KTM 890 SMT will not be available in North America for the model year 2023
Source: KTM USA