The 2023 Yamaha Ego Gear budget segment scooter is priced at RM5,998 in Malaysia. This price does not include road tax, insurance, and registration fees. The new price is RM580 higher than the previous 2022 price of RM5,418.
Here are some of the key features of the 2023 Yamaha Ego Gear:
- 125cc, SOHC, single-cylinder engine with EFI and engine stop-start
- Claimed output of 9.38 hp at 8,000 rpm and 9.6 Nm of torque at 5,500 rpm
- Electric and kick-starting
- Automatic gear and belt drive
- Telescopic forks in front and a single shock absorber in the rear
- Single hydraulic disc brake on the front and mechanical drum brake at the back
- 4.2-litre fuel tank
- LED lighting
- The analogue instrument panel with fuel gauge
- Power socket for charging electronics
- Hazard lights
- Anti-slip floorboard
The 2023 Ego Gear comes with new colour options, including Yellow, Blue, and Green, replacing the previous choices of Silver, Red, and Blue. The scooter is available immediately at all authorized Hong Leong Yamaha dealers nationwide.
Regarding specifications, the Ego Gear retains its 125 cc, SOHC, single-cylinder engine with EFI and engine stop-start technology. It produces a claimed 9.38 hp at 8,000 rpm and 9.6 Nm of torque at 5,500 rpm. The scooter offers electric and kick-starting options and transfers power to the rear wheel through an automatic gear and belt drive system.
For suspension, the Ego Gear is equipped with telescopic forks at the front and a single shock absorber at the rear, which is adjustable for preload. Braking is handled by a single hydraulic disc at the front and a mechanical drum brake at the back. The scooter features 14-inch wheels with 70/90 and 90/80 rubber.
With a fuel tank capacity of 4.2 litres, the Ego Gear weighs 95 kg. It has an overall length of 1,870 mm, a seat height of 750 mm, and a wheelbase measuring 1,260 mm.
The scooter features LED lighting for the headlight and pilot lights, and the instrument panel is analogue with a fuel gauge. It also includes a power socket for charging electronic devices, hazard lights, and anti-slip material on the floorboard.
Pros of the 2023 Yamaha Ego Gear scooter:
- Affordable Price: The Ego Gear is positioned in the budget segment, offering a relatively low price compared to other scooters in the market.
- Fuel Efficiency: With its 125 cc engine and EFI technology, the scooter is designed to be fuel-efficient, allowing for cost savings on fuel expenses.
- Engine Stop-Start Technology: The engine stop-start feature helps save fuel by automatically shutting off the engine when the scooter is stationary, such as at traffic lights.
- Easy to Ride: The automatic gear and belt drive system makes the Ego Gear easy to operate, especially for riders who prefer a hassle-free riding experience.
- Lightweight and Maneuverable: Weighing only 95 kg, the Ego Gear is lightweight and agile, making it ideal for urban commuting and navigating through traffic.
- Stylish New Colors: The updated colour options of Yellow, Blue, and Green provide a fresh and modern look to the scooter, allowing riders to express their style.
Cons of the 2023 Yamaha Ego Gear scooter:
- Limited Power: With a claimed output of 9.38 hp, the Ego Gear may not provide the same level of acceleration and top speed as higher-displacement scooters.
- Basic Instrumentation: The analogue instrument panel with a fuel gauge may lack some advanced features in more premium scooters, such as a digital display or additional information.
- Braking System: While the Ego Gear has a hydraulic disc brake at the front, the rear brake is a mechanical drum brake, which may offer less stopping power than a disc brake system on both ends.
- Limited Storage Space: The scooter does not offer significant storage capacity, which may be a drawback for riders who frequently carry items or need to store a helmet securely.
- Lack of Advanced Features: The Ego Gear may not have some advanced features in higher-end scooters, such as advanced connectivity options or safety features.
The 2023 Yamaha Ego Gear scooter offers an affordable option for budget-conscious riders in Malaysia. It has a fuel-efficient 125 cc engine and features like engine stop-start technology. The scooter is easy to ride, thanks to its automatic gear and belt drive system, and it is lightweight and manoeuvrable, making it suitable for urban commuting.
The updated colour options give the scooter a fresh and modern look, allowing riders to express their style. However, it’s worth noting that the Ego Gear may have limited power compared to higher-displacement scooters, and its braking system includes a drum brake at the rear, which may offer less stopping power.
While the Ego Gear may not have advanced features or a spacious storage capacity, it provides a cost-effective transportation solution for riders looking for a reliable and affordable scooter. As with any purchase, it’s recommended to test-ride the scooter and consider personal preferences and requirements before deciding.