Considering the growing popularity of active mobility solutions in cities, it’s interesting to see mainstream automotive and motorcycle brands expanding into the urban mobility space. Porsche, for example, has acquired e-bike systems specialist Fazua and e-bike brand Greyp while offering its selection of high-end e-bikes. Another prominent motorcycle company Ducati has released various electric bikes, including commuter models and e-MTBs like the E-Enduro Powerstage RR.
GasGas, a well-known name in off-road motorcycles, has also entered the urban mobility market. Now a member of the Pierer Mobility group, which includes KTM and Husqvarna, GasGas has gained prominence in the two-wheeler industry. While GasGas primarily focuses on enduro and motocross bikes, they have introduced an e-bike called the GasGas Moto, marking their first foray into the world of urban mobility.
Features and Specs
The GasGas Moto e-bike stands out with its performance-oriented design and distinctive red livery. Inspired by beach bikes commonly seen along the Californian coast, the GasGas Moto incorporates elements from the world of motorcycles while embracing an urban twist.
It features a 750-watt rear hub motor that delivers powerful performance, potentially providing thrilling experiences like wheelies. The bike in the U.S. market includes a throttle grip for added fun. At the same time, European models comply with stricter regulations and lack the throttle feature, operating as pedal-assist electric bicycles.
The e-bike’s sturdy steel tubular frame is designed to accommodate riders of all sizes, with a long saddle merging into a motocross-inspired tail section. It rides on 20-inch wheels fitted with fat tires and has front and rear disc brakes for efficient stopping power. However, it’s worth noting that the GasGas Moto is not intended for off-road use, as both the front and rear ends lack suspension.
Currently, pricing and availability details for the GasGas Moto electric bike have not been announced. This e-bike is expected to appeal to motorcycle enthusiasts and city commuters alike. Stay tuned for further updates on this exciting addition to GasGas’s lineup.
Pros of the GasGas Moto electric bike:
- Performance-oriented: The GasGas Moto has a powerful 750-watt rear hub motor, offering thrilling acceleration and the potential for wheelie-popping fun.
- Unique design: Inspired by beach bikes and incorporating elements from motorcycles, the GasGas Moto has a distinctive red livery and an urban-inspired twist, making it stand out in the e-bike market.
- Sturdy frame: The bike features a steel tubular frame designed to accommodate riders of various sizes, ensuring durability and stability during rides.
- Fat tires: The 20-inch wheels with fat tires provide enhanced traction and stability on urban roads, contributing to a smooth and comfortable riding experience.
- Front and rear disc brakes: The GasGas Moto has disc brakes on both the front and rear wheels, delivering reliable and efficient braking performance for increased safety.
Cons of the GasGas Moto electric bike:
- Lack of suspension: The GasGas Moto does not feature suspension, which may not be suitable for riding on rough or off-road terrains. It is primarily designed for urban mobility and may not handle well on uneven surfaces.
- Limited off-road capability: Due to its rigid front and rear ends and lack of suspension, the GasGas Moto is not designed for off-road riding. It is better suited for city commuting and leisurely rides on paved surfaces.
- Variations in throttle availability: While the U.S. version of the GasGas Moto includes a throttle grip for additional control and fun, the European model lacks this feature to comply with stricter regulations. This discrepancy may limit the throttle option depending on the region.
- Pricing and availability information: Currently, pricing and availability details for the GasGas Moto electric bike have not been announced, which may make it difficult for potential buyers to plan for its purchase.
The GasGas Moto electric bike represents GasGas’s entry into the world of urban mobility. With its performance-oriented design and distinctive red livery, the Moto offers an exciting option for motorcycle enthusiasts and city commuters.
The powerful 750-watt rear hub motor provides thrilling acceleration and the potential for wheelie-popping fun. The bike’s sturdy steel tubular frame, fat tires, and front and rear disc brakes provide a comfortable and safe riding experience on urban roads.
What is not meant to be
However, the GasGas Moto is not designed for off-road use, as it lacks suspension and has rigid front and rear ends. This limits its versatility compared to dedicated off-road e-bikes. Additionally, variations in throttle availability may depend on the market and regional regulations.
The GasGas Moto offers a unique blend of performance, style, and urban mobility. It is poised to attract attention from motorcycle enthusiasts and city commuters seeking an electric bike with a distinctive character.