Pune-based electric motorcycle manufacturer Tork Motors has launched a new variant of its Kratos R model, named the ‘Urban’ trim. Priced at Rs 1.67 lakh ex-showroom Pune, this version offers a cost-saving of Rs 20,000 compared to the standard Kratos R.
Kratos R Urban
The Kratos R Urban retains the same hardware as its counterpart, featuring Tork’s patented ‘Axial Flux’ motor with a peak power output of 9kW and torque of 38Nm. The battery capacity remains unchanged at 4.0kWh. Notable components such as the 17-inch wheels, CBS-equipped disc brakes on both ends, telescopic front fork, rear monoshock, and a consistent kerb weight of 140kg are also retained.
To cater to urban commuting, the Urban trim is designed with a single riding mode – the City mode, which limits the top speed to 70kmph and offers a range of 100km on a full charge. In contrast, the standard Kratos R offers multiple modes including Eco and Sports, delivering higher speeds and extended ranges.
In the interest of cost reduction, Tork Motors has omitted certain features from the Urban trim, such as In-app navigation, Vehicle Locator, Anti-theft & Geo-Fencing, Motor Walk Assist, Crash Alert, Live Dash over Bluetooth, and Ride Analytics. Furthermore, over-the-air (OTA) updates are now limited to essential updates only.
Nevertheless, purchasers of the Kratos R Urban will have access to these features for an initial 30-day period. Subsequently, they can opt to reactivate these features at a cost of Rs 20,000 within six months, beyond which they will remain inactive.
This move comes in response to the recent reduction in the FAME II subsidy, prompting electric two-wheeler manufacturers to adopt innovative approaches in order to mitigate the initial purchase costs and attract potential buyers.
Pros of Tork Motors’ Kratos R Urban Electric Motorcycle:
- Affordable Pricing: The Urban trim is priced at Rs 1.67 lakh ex-showroom Pune, offering a significant cost-saving of Rs 20,000 compared to the standard Kratos R variant.
- City-Focused Design: Tailored for urban commuting, the Urban trim features a dedicated City mode, limiting the top speed to 70kmph and providing a range of 100km on a full charge, making it ideal for city travel.
- Familiar Hardware: The Urban trim retains all the essential hardware components of the standard Kratos R, including the powerful ‘Axial Flux’ motor with 9kW peak output and 38Nm of torque, 17-inch wheels, disc brakes with CBS, telescopic front fork, rear monoshock, and a consistent kerb weight of 140kg.
- Option for Feature Activation: Purchasers can opt to activate additional features such as In-app navigation, Vehicle Locator, Anti-theft & Geo-Fencing, and more for a fee of Rs 20,000 within six months, offering flexibility and customization.
Cons of Tork Motors’ Kratos R Urban Electric Motorcycle:
- Limited Riding Modes: The Urban Trim offers only one riding mode – City mode, restricting riders to a top speed of 70kmph and a range of 100km. This limits versatility for those who require higher speeds or longer ranges.
- Reduced Feature Set: Certain features present in the standard Kratos R variant, such as In-app navigation, Vehicle Locator, and OTA updates for non-essential features, are omitted in the Urban trim, potentially affecting convenience and functionality.
- Additional Cost for Full Feature Set: While the option exists to activate additional features at a cost, it might not be favourable for budget-conscious buyers, as the full range of features comes with an extra fee of Rs 20,000 within six months of purchase.
- Adaptation to Non-Urban Settings: The Urban Trim’s city-centric design might limit its suitability for riders who frequently venture beyond urban environments, as the single riding mode and range might not align with their needs.
Tork Motors’ Kratos R Urban Electric Motorcycle offers affordability and city-focused features, but potential buyers should consider the limitations in terms of riding modes, features, and adaptability to their specific usage scenarios.