Radford Motors Type 62-2
The Radford Motors Type 62-2 Track Edition, limited to only 12 units, is a tribute to the 1969 Lotus Type 62 racer. Featuring a carbon composite chassis and a 710hp Toyota-derived 3.5-litre V6 engine, it sprints from 0 to 60mph in 2.9 seconds. This track-only supercar boasts a black and gold livery, reminiscent of the iconic John Players Special, and comes with bespoke accessories including a Sparco racing suit. Priced at around $1,000,000, it offers an exclusive driving experience and heritage value for collectors and enthusiasts. Confidence Level: High.
In a remarkable tribute to the Harold Radford-built 1969 Lotus Type 62 racer, Radford Motors has unveiled the Type 62-2, a coach-built supercar based on the Lotus Evora. This marvel of automotive engineering, developed in collaboration with Lotus, initially saw a limited release of just 62 units. However, Radford has further raised the bar by announcing a high-performance, race-modified version of the prestigious Pikes Peak International Hillclimb.
Track Edition Supercar
With Tanner Foust skillfully steering this machine, the Type 62-2 not only participated but clinched first place in the race’s Exhibition Class. Capitalizing on this success, Radford is now set to produce a limited series of replicas of Foust’s Pikes Peak racer, aptly named the Radford Type 62-2 Track Edition.
Engineering Excellence with a Heritage Twist
Unlike its aluminium-framed predecessor, the Track Edition boasts a full carbon composite monocoque chassis, mirroring the Pikes Peak winner. The car’s design integrates an array of 3D-printed components and is enveloped in all-carbon fibre bodywork. The replica aero kit, extending 4.5 inches on each side, enhances its racing pedigree. The car features a monumental front splitter, a central roof-mounted intake scoop, a substantial diffuser, and a commanding rear wing, reminiscent of Foust’s Pikes Peak vehicle. It also sports a striking black and gold paint scheme, a nod to the iconic John Players Special livery.
Unparalleled Performance and Exclusivity
Powering this automotive masterpiece is a Toyota-derived 3.5-litre V6 engine, meticulously reworked by Austrian tuning firm Jubu Performance. The engine, now producing an astounding 710hp, is a significant leap from the standard 62-2’s output. This formidable power, combined with a mere 1,898-pound curb weight, enables the Track Edition Type 62-2 to sprint from 0 to 60mph in just 2.9 seconds, with a top speed exceeding 180mph. The vehicle also features carbon fiber Dymag wheels, wrapped in custom-developed Yokohama tires, emphasizing its track-only nature.
Limited Edition Supercar
The Radford Motors Type 62-2 Track Edition is a remarkable automotive achievement that combines historical homage with cutting-edge technology and exclusive luxury. Here’s a key analysis of its most notable aspects:
- Historical Significance: The car pays tribute to the 1969 Lotus Type 62 racer, a significant model in automotive racing history. This historical connection adds a layer of prestige and nostalgia, which is a strong selling point for collectors and enthusiasts.
- Exclusive Engineering and Design: The use of a full carbon composite monocoque chassis and extensive carbon fibre in the bodywork sets the Track Edition apart from its predecessors and contemporaries. These materials not only reduce weight but also increase structural rigidity, crucial for a high-performance track car.
- High-Performance Modifications: The extensively modified Toyota-sourced 3.5-liter V6 engine, tuned to produce 710hp, is a testament to Radford Motors’ engineering capabilities. This power, combined with the car’s lightweight, results in impressive performance figures, like the 2.9-second 0-60mph sprint.
- Aesthetics and Branding: The black and gold paint job, inspired by the John Players Special livery, is not just visually striking but also resonates with racing history enthusiasts. This branding is a strategic move to appeal to a niche market that values both performance and heritage.
- Limited Production and Exclusivity: The decision to limit production to just 12 units globally significantly increases the car’s exclusivity and potential as an investment. Limited edition models often become collector’s items and maintain or increase their value over time.
- Comprehensive Ownership Package: The inclusion of bespoke items like the Sparco racing suit, matching helmet, driving shoes, and the opportunity to attend a driving academy with Jenson Button and Tanner Foust, adds a unique experience to the ownership. It’s not just about the car; it’s about the lifestyle and prestige that come with it.
- Market Positioning and Pricing: Priced at approximately $1,000,000, the Radford Type 62-2 Track Edition is positioned as a luxury, high-performance track car. Its price point and limited availability place it in the upper echelon of the automotive market, targeting a very specific and affluent clientele.
The Radford Motors Type 62-2 Track Edition is a blend of racing heritage, advanced engineering, exclusivity, and luxury, designed to appeal to a niche market of affluent car collectors and racing enthusiasts. The car’s historical significance, combined with its modern technical prowess, makes it a noteworthy addition to the world of high-performance automobiles.
Here’s a table summarizing the pros and cons of the Radford Motors Type 62-2 Track Edition:
|Historical Significance – Pays homage to the 1969 Lotus Type 62 racer, appealing to enthusiasts and collectors.
|Limited Practicality – As a track-only vehicle, it’s not suitable for regular road use.
|Exclusive Engineering – Features a carbon composite monocoque chassis and a powerful 710hp engine for exceptional performance.
|High Price Point – Priced around $1,000,000, it’s accessible only to a very affluent clientele.
|Impressive Performance – Accelerates from 0 to 60mph in 2.9 seconds with a top speed exceeding 180mph.
|Limited Production – Only 12 units made, which might make it difficult to acquire.
|Aesthetically Pleasing – Sports a striking black and gold livery and an aerodynamically efficient design.
|Maintenance and Upkeep – Specialized maintenance requirements might be more demanding and costly.
|Collectible Value – Limited production enhances its potential as a valuable collector’s item.
|Resale Challenges – The niche market might limit potential buyers for resale.
|Exclusive Ownership Experience – Includes bespoke accessories and opportunities for unique driving experiences.
|Insurance Costs – High insurance costs due to its value and performance characteristics.
Collector’s Sports Cars
Exclusive Ownership Experience
Limited to only 12 units globally, the Radford Motors Type 62-2 Track Edition is priced at approximately $1,000,000. This exclusive package includes not just the car, but an array of bespoke items: a Sparco racing suit, a matching helmet and driving shoes, SALT driving sunglasses, spare wheels and tires, a laser alignment kit, a specialized toolset from Mac Tools, and the unique opportunity to train with Jenson Button and Tanner Foust at the Radford Racing School.
Experience the pinnacle of automotive craftsmanship and racing heritage with the Radford Motors Type 62-2 Track Edition. Limited to just 12 exclusive units worldwide, this is your chance to own a piece of history. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to be one of the few to commandeer this track-only supercar, embodying unmatched performance and luxury.
Reserve your Radford Type 62-2 Track Edition now and join the elite circle of owners who value exceptional engineering and timeless design. Contact us today to secure your piece of automotive excellence and become a part of the Radford legacy. Your journey towards unparalleled driving experience begins here.