Skoda has discontinued the Octavia and Superb from the Indian market. The Octavia was discontinued in April 2023, while the Superb was discontinued in June 2023.
Both cars were offered with the EA888 evo3 powertrain, which did not comply with the latest BS6 Phase 2 emission norms. Skoda found that replacing it with the evo4 powertrain was not feasible and hence decided to pull the plug.
Next Gen Superb
Skoda does plan to introduce the next-gen Superb in India, though. It will likely be launched later this year and could be assembled locally. Reports also suggest that the premium sedan could get strong-hybrid powertrains.
The Octavia is also expected to return in an updated avatar and an RDE-compliant engine.
Here are some more details about the discontinuation of the Octavia and Superb:
- The Octavia was launched in India in 2021. It was available with a 2.0 L TSI turbocharged petrol engine that produced 187.74bhp@4180-6000rpm
- The Superb was launched in India in 2016. It was available with a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine that produced 187.74bhp@4200-6000rpm
- Both cars were popular in the Indian market. However, the discontinuation of the Octavia and Superb is a sign of the changing times. The Indian car market is moving towards SUVs and crossovers. Sedans are becoming less popular.
- Skoda is not the only automaker that has discontinued sedans from the Indian market. Other automakers, such as Honda and Toyota, have stopped sedans recently.
- The discontinuation of the Octavia and Superb is a blow to Skoda’s Indian operations. However, the automaker is still committed to the Indian market. It plans to launch new models in the coming years, including the next-gen Superb and the new Kushaq SUV.
Skoda Auto, commonly called Skoda, is a Czech automobile manufacturer founded in 1895. It is one of the world’s oldest and most established automobile companies. Skoda is a subsidiary of the Volkswagen Group, a global automotive conglomerate.
Skoda is known for producing a range of vehicles, including compact cars, sedans, SUVs, and electric vehicles. The brand has gained a reputation for offering reliable, value-for-money vehicles that balance quality, performance, and affordability.
Over the years, Skoda has expanded its presence globally and has a strong presence in various markets, including Europe, China, India, and other countries. The company has manufacturing facilities worldwide, including in the Czech Republic, China, India, and other countries.
Skoda has a lineup of popular models, including the Skoda Octavia, Skoda Superb, Skoda Kodiaq, Skoda Karoq, and Skoda Fabia. The brand has also embraced electric mobility and has introduced electric vehicles like the Skoda Enyaq iV.
Skoda focuses on innovation, design, and technology to provide a compelling driving experience for its customers. The brand has received numerous awards and accolades for its vehicles, including recognition for safety features, design, and overall performance.
As with any automotive company, staying updated with the latest information from official sources is essential or contacting Skoda directly for the most accurate and current details about their models, plans, and offerings is essential.