The AW brand debuted at a motorcycle trade fair in China in 2021, showcasing its first model, the AW 500 R. In July 2023, the AW 500 R was officially released for sale in China. The AW brand is still relatively new and unfamiliar, even to the Chinese audience. The motorcycle manufacturer AW is associated with the Hangzhou Weite industrial group.
Here are some of the key features of the AW 500 N:
- Loncin 500 series twin-cylinder engine
- 45 to 48 hp
- 186 kg wet weight
- 1,375 mm wheelbase
- Adjustable upside-down telescopic forks
- Double disc brakes with radially mounted four-piston callipers
- Adjustable spring strut with linkage levers
- 2-in-1 exhaust system with tension springs and carbon endpiece
- Large display in the cockpit (likely colour and Bluetooth-enabled)
- Price: €4,000 (estimated)
About two years after the introduction of the AW 500 R, AW introduced its second model in the spring of 2023, known as the AW 500 N. The AW 500 N is a variant of the AW 500 R with a neo-classical design, featuring a front panel with round headlights and wire-spoke wheels instead of cast aluminium wheels.
The MV Agusta Superveloce and the Honda Hawk 11 are similar neo-classical designs but have larger displacement and power than the AW 500 N.
AW utilizes Loncin’s water-cooled inline two-cylinder engine, based on Honda’s 500 twins, similar to many other Chinese motorcycle manufacturers. The Loncin Twin engine has a displacement of 471 or 494 cubic centimetres and produces around 50 horsepower.
Export models for Europe, such as those from Loncin’s brand Voge, are tuned to meet the A2 driver’s license limit with 48 horsepower (35 kW). From the beginning, AW states a power output of 45 to 48 horsepower (33 to 35 kW) for its 500 series. The mentioned top speeds of 170 and 180 km/h should be considered optimistic.
The fully faired AW 500 N weighs 186 kilograms when ready to ride with a full tank. The exact fuel tank capacity is not yet known. AW incorporates an aluminium chassis throughout the motorcycle, including the fork bridge, bridge frame, bolted-on rear frame, and the two-armed rear wheel swing arm. The tire sizes align with class standards: 120/70-17 at the front and 160/60-17 at the rear. The short wheelbase of 1,375 millimetres contributes to easy handling.
AW 500 N
The AW 500 N is equipped with high-quality and modern components, such as adjustable upside-down telescopic forks with double disc brakes and radially mounted four-piston callipers, an adjustable spring strut with linkage levers, and a 2-in-1 exhaust system with tension springs and a carbon end piece. The cockpit features a large, presumably colour display with Bluetooth connectivity.
As for pricing and availability, the AW 500 R was released for sale in China in July 2023 with a price of 31,800 Chinese yuan, approximately equivalent to 4,000 euros. The market launch date and pricing for the AW 500 N have not been announced yet but are expected to be similar to the AW 500 R. There is currently no information available regarding AW’s export plans.
AW 500 R
Pros of the AW 500 R and AW 500 N:
- Design: Both models, AW 500 R and AW 500 N, feature appealing designs. The AW 500 R has a sporty look, while the AW 500 N offers a neo-classical design with round headlights and wire-spoke wheels.
- Lightweight: The AW 500 N, with its fully faired body, weighs 186 kilograms when ready to ride. A lightweight motorcycle can contribute to better manoeuvrability and handling.
- Aluminum Chassis: Using aluminium in the chassis construction provides strength while keeping the weight low. This can enhance the overall performance and agility of the motorcycle.
- High-Quality Components: The AW 500 R and AW 500 N are equipped with high-quality components such as adjustable upside-down telescopic forks, double disc brakes with radially mounted four-piston callipers, and an adjustable spring strut. These components can improve suspension, braking, and overall ride quality.
- Loncin Engine: The Loncin water-cooled inline two-cylinder engine, based on Honda’s 500 twin, offers proven performance and reliability. It provides a decent power output of around 45 to 48 horsepower, suitable for various riding conditions.
Cons of the AW 500 R and AW 500 N:
- Limited Availability: AW 500 R and AW 500 N are only available for sale in China. There is no information about their availability in other markets, including Europe or North America.
- Limited Information: Some details about the motorcycles, such as fuel tank capacity and specific features, are not provided in the given information. More information is needed to evaluate the pros and cons comprehensively.
- Unknown Reputation: The AW brand is relatively new and unfamiliar in China and internationally. As a result, potential buyers may have concerns about the brand’s reputation, reliability, and customer support.
- Performance Claims: The mentioned top speeds of 170 and 180 km/h for the AW 500 R and AW 500 N, respectively, are optimistic. Verifying these claims and assessing the motorcycles’ actual performance capabilities is important.
- Export Plans: There is no information available regarding AW’s export plans. If the motorcycles are not made available in other markets, potential buyers outside of China will not have access to these models.
The AW 500 R and AW 500 N are new motorcycle models introduced by the AW brand, associated with the Hangzhou Weite industrial group. These motorcycles showcase appealing designs, with the AW 500 R offering a sporty look and the AW 500 N featuring a neo-classical design. Both models are equipped with high-quality components and utilize Loncin’s water-cooled inline two-cylinder engine, known for its performance and reliability.
The motorcycles have the advantage of being lightweight, thanks to the aluminium chassis, which contributes to improved manoeuvrability and handling. However, there are some limitations to consider. The availability of AW motorcycles is currently limited to China, and there is no information about their availability in other markets. The reputation and reliability of the AW brand are relatively unknown, which may raise concerns for potential buyers.
Additionally, details about the motorcycles, such as fuel tank capacity and specific features, are not provided in the given information. The claimed top speeds of the motorcycles should be evaluated and verified independently. It is also unclear whether AW plans to export its motorcycles to other regions.
Overall, while the AW 500 R and AW 500 N offer promising features and designs, further information and reviews are needed to assess their performance, reliability, and overall value comprehensively.