The Kawasaki GPZ900R, also known as ZX900A or Ninja 900, was a motorcycle produced by Kawasaki from 1984 to 2003. It was a significant model that introduced innovative features and design elements.
The GPZ900R, specifically the ZX900A-1 model launched in 1984, incorporated advanced technology and a groundbreaking design.
Old Kawasaki GPZ900R
It is often credited as a modern super sports motorcycle pioneer due to its revolutionary features and performance capabilities.
The GPZ900R was the first motorcycle to bear the “Ninja” name, which has become synonymous with Kawasaki’s high-performance motorcycles. Its development and design process spanned six years, resulting in a bike ahead of its speed and performance.
GPZ900R had a 908cc inline-four engine made 115hp having a top speed of 240 km/h
One of the notable features of the GPZ900R was its four-cylinder inline engine with a liquid-cooled 16-valve double overhead cam (DOHC) configuration. This engine setup significantly differed from previous Kawasaki models and contributed to the bike’s impressive power and performance.
Furthermore, the GPZ900R gained recognition as the fastest production motorcycle upon its release. It’s top speed and acceleration capabilities set new standards in the industry and established Kawasaki as a leader in the super sports category.
The Kawasaki GPZ900R was a game-changer in the motorcycle industry, setting the stage for future advancements and inspiring the development of high-performance motorcycles that followed.
- Engine: The motorcycle has an inline four-cylinder engine with a total displacement of 908 cm³ (cubic centimetres). The machine has a quadruple butterfly system, which likely refers to the four throttle butterflies used for fuel-air mixture control. It is also assisted by four Mikuni carburettors, which mix fuel and air.
- Valvetrain: The engine has 16 valves that are inclined at 35°. These valves are actuated by two overhead camshafts, which control the opening and closing of the valves. This configuration allows for efficient airflow and performance.
- Power Output: The motorcycle produces 115 bhp (brake horsepower) or approximately 86 kW (kilowatts). This power enables the bike to reach speeds of 151 mph (243 km/h). Notably, it is mentioned that this motorcycle is the first production street bike to exceed 150 mph (240 km/h), indicating its performance capabilities.
- Cooling System: The bike incorporates a water cooling system, which helps regulate the engine’s temperature. Combining water cooling with a 16-valve head likely improves heat dissipation, increasing power output.
- Chassis Design: The motorcycle utilizes the engine as a load-bearing element. This design approach enhances the bike’s handling by improving rigidity and reducing weight. A stiffer chassis contributes to better control and manoeuvrability.
- Anti-Dive Braking System: The motorcycle features an innovative braking system called “AVDS” (Automatic Variable Damping System), which helps prevent excessive front-end dive during braking. This system interacts with the braking system and ensures that the front fork does not compress excessively when weight is transferred to the front wheel. The bike maintains stability during deceleration by reducing the forward pitch caused by braking.
Rumours are circulating about Kawasaki planning to release a new Ninja GPZ900R in 2024. However, these are just rumours at this point, and there has yet to be an official confirmation from Kawasaki. The concept from Mich Superbike is not an official design from Kawasaki, but it gives us a good idea of what the new bike could look like.
The new GPZ900R is expected to have a 948cc inline four-cylinder engine with a power of upward of 150 hp
The original Ninja GPZ900R was a very popular motorcycle when it was released in 1984. It was one of the first superbikes, and it set the standard for what a high-performance motorcycle should be. The new bike is rumoured to be based on the current Ninja ZX-10R, but it will likely have a more retro look. It is also rumoured to have a more powerful engine, with power upward of 150 horsepower.
Here are some of the features that are rumoured to be included in the new Ninja GPZ900R:
- A 948cc inline four-cylinder engine with a power of upward of 150 horsepower
- A half-faired bodywork with a retro design
- Upside-down front forks and a rear monoshock
- Brembo brakes
- 6 gear transmission
- Strong electronic package
- A TFT digital instrument cluster
- Taking inspiration from Z900RS, it could be very well launched as GPZ900RS
Here are some of the reasons why a new GPZ900R would be a popular choice:
- The original GPZ900R was a very successful motorcycle with a large and loyal following. The original GPZ900R was one of the most popular sports bikes of its time and helped define the modern superbike. As a result, many people are still fans of the bike and would be excited to see a new version.
- The motorcycle market is currently very competitive, and a new GPZ900R could help Kawasaki to compete with other manufacturers. The motorcycle market is currently very competitive, and many new and exciting bikes are on the market. As a result, Kawasaki would need to ensure that the new GPZ900R is a high-quality bike that is competitive with other bikes on the market.
- The technology has advanced significantly since the original GPZ900R was released, so a new bike version could be even more impressive than the original. The technology has advanced significantly since the original GPZ900R was released, so a new bike version could be even more impressive. For example, the new GPZ900R could have a more powerful engine, better handling, and more advanced electronic features.
Of course, some risks are also associated with bringing back the GPZ900R. For example, the motorcycle market is very different today than when the original GPZ900R was released. As a result, it’s possible a new GPZ900R would not be as successful as the original.
However, so far, we have not seen any patents related to the new Ninja GPZ900R.
The new Ninja GPZ900R will be an impressive motorcycle if these rumours are true. It would combine the performance of the current Ninja ZX-10R with the retro styling of the original Ninja GPZ900R. It would be sure to be a popular choice among fans of both modern and classic motorcycles.
Of course, we must wait and see if these rumours are true. Kawasaki has yet to release any official information about the new Ninja GPZ900R. However, if it does come to fruition, it is sure to be a popular motorcycle among fans of the original. Rumours also suggest Kawasaki may launch a series of Ninja GPZ models like GPZ400R, GPZ750R and GPZ1000R shortly.
The GPZ900R was well-received by critics, who praised its handling, performance, and styling. It quickly became one of the most popular sports bikes on the market and helped define the modern superbike.
The Kawasaki GPZ900R was a groundbreaking motorcycle that helped to shape the modern sportbike. It was a technological marvel for its time, setting the standard for performance and styling for years to come. The GPZ900R is a true legend and will continue to be admired by motorcycle enthusiasts for generations to come.
The bike is still considered one of the most iconic motorcycles of all time, and it continues to be a popular choice for collectors and enthusiasts. If you’re looking for a fast, stylish, and well-made sport bike, the Kawasaki GPZ900R is a great option if Kawasaki plans to bring one.