BMW Motorrad has developed the R18 using its largest boxer engine to date. And here we take a look at how it is developed since the concept. Here is a brief timeline.
Concept and Spy
Last year during this time, the R18 was spied multiple times. And at one instance it was caught twice in a week.
The Concept R18
- Production-version of Concept R18.
- Largest capacity motorcycle engine BMW ever built.
- Three versions are available.
The R1200 C failed at the beginning of the century, and for a few years now.
The very first spy shot
Instead of using the existing air-cooled 1200-boxer-engine used in the rNine T, the Bavarians decided to develop an entirely new air-cooled boxer-engine with 1800cc and introduced the idea on a concept bike earlier.
Spied for the second time
Monstrous Engine and Competitors
BMW Motorrad had proudly present their concept of R18/2 at the last EICMA. We see the specs of engine stacked in the R18.
Specifications of 1800 CC Engine
- OHV Air / Oil Cooling boxer twin engine.
- 4 Valve boxer Twin Engine Maximum Displacement 1,802cc Bore 107.1mm.
- Stroke 100mm Horsepower 67kw (91HP) / 4,750rpm Torque 158Nm / 3,000rpm 2,000rpm ～4,000rpm.
- Idling is 950rpm maximum speed.
- The crankshaft and connecting rod are equipped with plain bearings to reduce vibration.
- Dual ignition.
- Two camshafts.
- As with conventional 2-valve boxers, they have manually adjusted the valve clearance.
- Constant-mesh 6-speed transmission.
- The engine gets a single plate dry clutch with anti-hopping function.
- Reverse gear is available as an option. (Drive-by intermediate gear and motor).
Building an altogether new OHV livery with tasted of modern technology is something challenging but exciting, and that is what BMW Motorrad has done.
BMW Motorrad engineers had put much effort to bring this new platform to live.
Now how does it fare in the market we need to see.
The new platform is set against to compete with
- Triumph Thunderbird Storm
- Victory Freedom
- Suzuki M1800/C1800
- Honda VTX1800
- Harley Davidson
- Indian Chief
- Honda Goldwing
- Yamaha VX 1900 and a couple of other bikes.
Finally, BMW Motorrad in April 2020 pulled off the wraps from its much ambitious R18.
The highlights of the new BMW R 18
- Iconic style blending modern technology with authentic materials.
- Biggest ever BMW boxer engine with a capacity of 1 802 cc.
- Output 67 kW (91 hp) at 4 750 rpm, maximum torque 158 Nm at 3 000 rpm.
- More than 150 Nm available at all times from 2 000 to 4 000 rpm.
- Exposed driveshaft based on the classic role model.
- Elaborately crafted double-loop steel tube frame.
- Rear swingarm with enclosed axle drive in rigid-frame design.
- Telescopic fork with sleeves and cantilever suspension strut featuring travel-dependent damping.
- Balanced ergonomics for relaxed riding and optimum control.
- Disc brakes front and rear, with wire-spoked wheels.
- State-of-the-art LED lighting technology, classically interpreted.
- Adaptive turning light for even better illumination of the road when cornering as an ex-factory option.
- Classically designed circular instrument with integrated display.
- Keyless Ride for convenient function activation by remote control.
- Three standard riding modes, ASC and MSR.
- Reverse assist for comfortable manoeuvring, and Hill Start Control for natural hill starts as ex-factory options.
- The R 18 First Edition: exclusive look in paint and chrome.
- R18 also comes with an extensive range of optional extras and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories as well as a cool Ride & Style Collection.
Customs on R18
Now BMW R18 first edition is all set to arrive in India on September 19.
And do expect the price range close to Rs 20 Lakh.