European Motorcycle Market shows a 15.5% growth
The first quarter of 2023 has shown promising growth for the European motorcycle market, with an overall increase of 15.5 percent across the top five markets compared to the same period in 2022. Here is a breakdown of the sales figures and trends observed:
1. Italy: Italy takes the lead with 78,997 new motorcycle registrations in the first quarter of 2023, reflecting an impressive growth of 31.1 percent compared to the first quarter of 2022. Italy’s diverse motorcycle market and licensing parameters contribute to its strong performance.
2. Germany: Germany secures the second spot with 54,964 newly registered two-wheelers in the first quarter of 2023, indicating a growth of 13.2 percent compared to the same period last year. The German market experienced a significant electric two-wheeler boost, leading to substantial overall growth.
3. France: France takes the third position, recording 48,945 new registrations, showing a 7.1 percent increase compared to the first quarter of 2022. France has been actively promoting the adoption of electric vehicles, including electric motorcycles, although the growth in this segment was relatively modest.
4. Spain: Spain follows closely with 44,127 new registrations in the first quarter of 2023. While the specific growth rate is not mentioned, Spain’s performance suggests a positive trend in the market.
5. United Kingdom (U.K.): The U.K. rounds up the top five markets with 26,826 new registrations, indicating steady growth in the first quarter of 2023. The specific growth rate is not provided.
Electric Two Wheelers
Regarding electric two-wheelers, the market experienced a 1.2 percent increase overall, with 8,890 units registered in the first quarter of 2023. Germany saw a remarkable growth rate of 89.9 percent in the electric two-wheeler market, driven by 2,672 new registrations.
Despite its strong emphasis on electrification, France saw only a 1.2 percent growth, amounting to 2,168 new EV-two-wheeler registrations. Surprisingly, Italy’s electric two-wheeler market shrank by 2.3 percent, with just 2,054 new registrations during the first quarter of 2023.
Overall, the positive outcome of the first quarter of 2023 suggests a rebound for the European motorcycle industry, indicating a potential sales figure of over one million new motorcycles by the end of the year if the trend continues.