The MG EX4 all-electric hot hatch concept, revealed by British-based, Chinese-owned MG Motor, pays homage to the iconic Metro 6R4 Group B rally car from the 1980s. The concept car is based on the MG4 XPower and features a dual-motor setup with undisclosed power figures.
Here are the key features of the MG EX4 concept car:
- Based on the road-going MG4 XPower
- Electric powertrain
- Homage to the Metro 6R4 Group B rally car
- Massive front splitter
- Enlarged wheel arches
- Great big green spoiler at the back
- Full-width diffuser
- Likely not to be road-legal
The exterior design includes a large front splitter, enlarged wheel arches, a prominent rear spoiler, and a full-width diffuser. While the interior details have not been shown in the video, it is expected to be unveiled at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
It is unlikely that a road-legal version of the MG EX4 will be released due to safety concerns with its aggressive styling. However, the concept showcases the brand’s effort to reinterpret its British heritage for the modern era.
I think the most striking features of the EX4 are the massive front splitter and the great big green spoiler at the back. These features give the car a very aggressive and sporty look. The enlarged wheel arches and full-width diffuser also help to give the car a more planted stance.
- Electric Performance: The MG EX4 is an all-electric hot hatch concept, offering the potential for impressive performance. Electric motors provide instant torque, resulting in quick acceleration and responsive handling.
- Environmental Friendliness: The MG EX4 produces zero tailpipe emissions as an electric vehicle, contributing to a cleaner and greener transportation system. It helps reduce air pollution and dependence on fossil fuels.
- Homage to Heritage: The MG EX4 concept pays homage to the iconic Metro 6R4 Group B rally car, showcasing the brand’s rich British heritage and evoking nostalgia among enthusiasts.
- Technological Advancements: Electric vehicles often incorporate advanced technologies, including regenerative braking, smart connectivity features, and potentially autonomous driving capabilities. The MG EX4 concept may include such advancements.
- Limited Availability: Since the MG EX4 is a concept car, it may not be available for production or sale. Concept cars often serve as showcases of design and technology and may not translate directly into mass-produced vehicles.
- Safety Concerns: The aggressive styling of the MG EX4, including the large front splitter, could raise safety concerns. Such design elements might be impractical for road-legal vehicles and potentially pose risks to pedestrians or other road users.
- Unrevealed Specs: While the MG4 XPower, on which the EX4 is based, has dual motors with 429 horsepower and impressive torque figures, the exact specifications of the EX4 concept have not been revealed. Without specific details, it is challenging to assess the performance or capabilities of the vehicle.
- Uncertainty about Production: Even if a road-legal version of the MG EX4 were to be considered, there is no guarantee that it would make it to production. Automakers often showcase concept cars without following through on their production plans.
It's here! Introducing the MG EX4. Paying homage to the iconic Metro 6R4, the all-new MG EX4 embodies the spirit of its legendary predecessor. Witness the thrilling unveiling at @fosgoodwood.#MG #MGUK #MGMotor #MGMotorUK #MGEX4 #FOS pic.twitter.com/f0tFqbXxoX— MG Motor UK (@MGmotor) July 12, 2023
The MG EX4 all-electric hot hatch concept presented by MG Motor showcases an electric vehicle with the potential for impressive performance and a design that pays homage to the brand’s heritage. It represents a step towards a greener and cleaner transportation future.
However, the availability of a road-legal version is uncertain, and the aggressive styling raises safety concerns. The lack of detailed specifications and the concept nature of the vehicle add further uncertainty. While the MG EX4 concept is an exciting showcase of design and technology, its practicality and eventual production remain to be seen.