Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/GASGAS Factory Racing’s Justin Barcia returned to the 450SX podium on Saturday night with a determined
third-place finish in Orlando, Florida.
Barcia found himself in a challenging position after a big crash in qualifying, but he dug deep and turned the night around. He was earning his third podium of the season at round eight.
- The Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/GASGAS Factory Racing MC 450F delivered its third Main Event holeshot.
- Barcia overcame a rough start to the day. It was emerging with a podium finish and fourth overall in the championship standings.
- Pierce Brown missed the opening round of 250SX West but looks to debut the MC 250F soon.
The day could have ended with a much worse outcome for Barcia after experiencing. A rough crash during the first practice session left him banged up. And sitting in 18th overall heading into the racing program.
The rider is affectionately known as “BAM BAM”, dusted himself off. And charged into the night, getting on the gas with a top-five start in the heat race.
Battling just outside
the podium early on, Barcia held onto fourth for most of the race, but a last-minute pass gave him a solid fifth-place transfer into the main.
Barcia lined himself up for a great start in the Main Event as he nailed another holeshot aboard his MC 450F.
He was settling into second on the first lap. He got passed early on and went to fourth, leading a hard-charging pack of riders—all fighting for a podium chance.
Mid-race, Barcia has gifted
the third-place position when. Adam Cianciarulo went down, but it was up to him to capitalise on the opportunity with a firm ride in third.
He held off points leader Ken Roczen in the final laps to assume the podium’s final spot. He was giving him a nudge up to fourth in the 450SX championship standings.
Barcia: “It was a tough day for sure. I had a crash in practice and destroying myself. I had to regroup, and I felt like I got a little bit better.
We made many changes on the bike for the Main Event, and I got off to a great start.
I picked my speed up at the end of the race, and I got into a flow, which was excellent. For how the morning went, to be up on the podium was a solid race.
Obviously, I want a lot more out of myself, but it will be nice to have a week off. Regroup and get the body right before heading to Daytona, which I’m excited for.”
Team rider Pierce Brown was initially slated to line up for the 250SX Western Regional Championship on Saturday.
But he ultimately made the tough decision to push back his debut on the MC 250F. As he continues to log more time on the bike following ACL surgery last September.
The Troy Lee Designs/Red Bull/GASGAS Factory Racing team will enjoy. A weekend off from racing before getting back on the gas on March 6 at the legendary Daytona International Speedway in Florida.
Results – 2021 AMA Supercross Championship, Round 8
450SX – Main Event
1. Cooper Webb (KTM) 25laps; 2. Marvin Musquin (KTM) +3.040; 3. Justin Barcia (GASGAS) +3.323
250SX West – Main Event
1. Justin Cooper (Yamaha) 19laps; 2. Cameron Mcadoo (Kawasaki) +04.887; 3. Garrett Marchbanks (Yamaha) +19.080
Championship Standings – After Round 8
1. Ken Roczen (Honda) 180pts; 2. Cooper Webb (KTM) 174; 3. Eli Tomac (Kawasaki)149; 4. Justin Barcia (GASGAS) 136
1. Justin Cooper (Yamaha) 26pts; 2. Cameron Mcadoo (Kawasaki) 23; 3. Garrett Marchbanks (Yamaha) 21