Yamaha to discontinue the YZF-R6
As per the latest sources and news from Japan, the 2021 Yamaha R6 won’t go ahead in production. It is due to the Euro5 norms coming in play from January 2021.
Motorcycle manufacturers had predicted that multiple motorcycles would disappear due to Euro5 compliance. Yamaha R6 is one of them.
- Honda teases the upcoming SH350
- KTM to bring rad Super Duke 1290 RR
- Royal Enfield teases Meteor 350
- All-new Triumph Trident 660
With 599cc,inline four and 73.7 kW (98.9 hp) @ 12,500 rpm (rear wheel) the first YZF-R6 arrived in 1999.
From 1999, we saw seven iterations.
- 2001 to 2002 : The performance specs were increased from 73.7 kW (98.9 hp) @ 12,500 rpm (rear wheel) to 79.7 kW (106.9 hp) @ 12,500 rpm (rear wheel).
- 2003–2004: Again we saw a rise in the power 86.0 kW (115.3 bhp) @ 13,000 rpm.
- 2005: From 115.2 bhp tp 88.2 kW (118.3 bhp) @ 13,000 rpm. Year after year, Yamaha was consistently improving its performance specs.
- 2006–2007: 93.4 kW (125.3 bhp) @ 14,500 rpm. Again Yamaha raised the seven horses compared to the 2005 iteration.
- 2008–2009: With Yamaha again raising the bar we saw the highest power upgrade with 94.9 kW (127.3 bhp) @ 14,500 rpm.
- 2010–2016 : Yamaha brought down the power by 5 hp with 91.0 kW (122.0 bhp) @ 14,500 rpm.
- 2017-present : 87.1 kW (116.8 bhp) @ 14,500 rpm. Again Yamaha brought down the power from 122bhp to 116.8bhp.
With a high displacement engine, low clip-on and raised stance. The YZF-R6 is regarded as one of the most influential track weapons in the history of motorcycles. Further, the R6 is also agile and flexible.
In terms of design and appearance, it is a replica of its elder brother YZF-R1. With killer attributes the motorcycle community has always loved the R6. And it was still a leader in the pack.
Again there are news Yamaha will release the R6 in November 2021 but the current R6 is likely to arrive. So we may not see the same R6 with massive displacement and the same power.
Also going further the current Yamaha Japan website doesn’t show anything on the R6 in its current lineup. So there are two possibilities.
- Yamaha to bring altogether a new R6 or
- Yamaha wants to discontinue the R6.
Whereas Yamaha USA website does show the information on the R6.
Yamaha may bring few changes in the R6. Let’s wait and watch.